Assistant General Counsel
Req #: 114742
Job Location(s): Brooklyn, NY
Zip Code: 11220
Status: Regular Full-Time
Our Corporate team may not provide direct care, but we still touch people's lives in a very real and substantial way. The services we provide contribute greatly to the overall patient and member experience, supporting our reputation for excellence.
Why work for MJHS?:
When you work with us you will receive comprehensive and affordable health and financial benefits, in addition to generous paid vacation, personal and holiday time that you won't find at our competitors. Do you receive a paid day off for your birthday now? No? You will here! You will also receive the training, tuition assistance and career development you desire to help you achieve your career goals. You take care of our patients, residents and health plan members, and we will take care of the rest!
- Sign-on Bonuses OR Student Loan Assistance for clinical staff
- FREE Online RN to BSN and MSN degree programs!
- Tuition Reimbursement for all full and part-time staff
- Dependent Tuition Reimbursement for clinical staff!
- Generous paid time off
- Affordable medical, dental and vision coverage for employee and family members
- Two retirement plans! 403(b) AND Employer Paid Pension
- Flexible spending
- And MORE!
The Assistant General Counsel is an in-house attorney role in our legal department, located in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn NY, working at the direction of the MJHS General Counsel and with the Deputy General Counsel and other Associates. While this position will be responsible for providing legal advice and services to MJHS and all its affiliated entities, including MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care, MJHS Home Care, Isabella Geriatric Center and Menorah Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, a majority of the attorney's activity will be directed in support of Elderplan/Homefirst.
Key areas of responsibility:
• Assists the General Counsel in advising the MJHS Senior Management on a broad array of legal, regulatory and compliance matters.
• Regularly provide legal advice on managed care and insurance matters, particularly as they apply to Elderplan's Medicare and Medicaid governmental programs.
• Serve as a resource to business leads on operational matters including, but not limited to, drafting and negotiating managed care contracts, including provider agreements, health network contracts, administrative services agreements, management agreements, vendor and IT contracts and other business relationship matters
• Assist with, and provide counsel to business leads on disputes, settlements, audits and investigations, appeals, fair hearings, administrative proceedings and small claims court actions; draft responses to audits and investigations, settlement documents related to contract disputes; provide representation at administrative hearings
• Participate with outside counsel in representing MJHS and the MJHS agencies in structuring and negotiating major corporate transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, joint ventures and the purchase of technology.
• Provide legal advice to leadership and staff regarding medical-legal matters, such as informed consent, privacy, confidentiality, credentialing, regulatory requirements, and standard of care issues.
• Provide day-to-day legal advice to business/operational departments to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policy, Medicare and Medicaid requirements
• Provide legal counsel and prepare and review contracts for MJHS support departments including, Finance, Purchasing, IT, Human Resources, Marketing, Risk Management and Compliance.
• Analyzing the impact and applicability of federal and state health care laws and regulatory requirements in relation to the clinical, strategic, and business operations of MJHS. Assist in implementation of requirements.
• Keep informed regarding regulatory trends and best practices and counsel business partners on measures to avoid, reduce and mitigate risks.
• Regularly attend and participate in management meetings, committees and workgroups. Attend Board and Board committee meetings on an “as needed” basis.
• Perform other job-related functions, as requested.
The successful applicants will possess:
- A degree from an accredited law school, strong academic credentials, and be licensed to practice law in New York State or eligible to seek admission to practice in New York.
- At least five years of relevant experience practicing law in a hospital, healthcare system, health plan, or a law firm where the practice has been primarily focused on health law related issues.
- An in-depth understanding of Medicare and Medicaid managed care products, with a strong working knowledge of New York State government healthcare programs preferred.
- Experience advising health plan leadership on the requirements for plan administration.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- A track record of effectively managing a high volume of diverse matters independently.
- Superior analytical and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organization, clarity of thought, discretion and judgment.
- Highly developed sense of ethics and integrity.
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving.
Connect With Us!:
Not ready to apply? Connect with us to learn about upcoming opportunities and events at MJHS.Subscribe